Thursday, June 3, 2010

 Has there been someone that has blown you away? Someone in your life who truly astounds you? I know someone like that—a remarkable someone who continuously amazes me with his progress. We were just kids when we met each other and our relationship was a times tumultuous (to say the least) but we have been blessed enough to know each other for a decade.  A lot can happen in a decade. Massive change can happen in a decade. When we first met and became friends, I had this vision for the person that he was and the person that he would become.  I tried not to project too much of that on him; however, being the naive and transparent girl that I was, the task became virtually impossible. I did project and I let him know at every turn we took.  For a long time we lost contact with each other. But I still had faith in him: faith in his intelligence and faith in his spirit. I caught up with my friend recently and I have to say that the experience was entirely pleasant. He has turned into absolutely everything that I ever thought he could be. He is strong and focused and wise. Although we struggled through some rough patches, we have come up on top. The thing that has helped is that I never gave up on him. I never stopped believing in him. Though there are gaps in our decade of acquaintance, they are necessary gaps. They are gaps of growth for both of us.

Today’s Task: Never give up on the people you care for. In this day and age we are so often encouraged to give up on relationships.  When people become useless or don’t live up to our expectations, we are just supposed to walk away. Now I’m not saying that there aren’t times when we should cut our losses, nor am I saying that we should all be nudges and pushers. But there are times that we should stand for people we believe in. How can people grow if we don’t’ give them the chance to be who they can be.  It’s so easy to give up. But God hasn’t given up on me and I don’t think I can give up on anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment