Thursday, April 1, 2010

People can be so crazy sometimes.  Some of you know that I recently decided to change my phone number, now let me tell you why. I got a few phone calls last week from someone that I didn’t know. I finally answered on the second call. It was from a woman named Sophia.  She told me that she got my phone number from a subpoenaed phone record and then proceeded to ask me flat out if I’d had an affair with her husband… What? I mean really, me, of all people—like I would have an affair with anyone’s husband. This woman was so insistent that I had, mysteriously crossed a line with her husband. I have no earthly clue who she is, or who her husband is. I was irritated with her at first but as the brief conversation I began to feel badly for her. She wanted so much to have some answers to her questions.  She kept saying to me, “I’m getting a divorce, so I don’t care if you did have an affair; I just want to know for my sake”. She was desperate for some peace and some closure to her situation, and I found myself upset with her husband and I don’t even know him. It got me thinking about all the dirt that people do: the things that are done that go unsaid and the things that are brought to the light. There are so many deceptive things that we do to the people that we love on a regular basis. Why? Why must we hide our secret motives? Is it because we know that what we hide is inappropriate and hurtful? It’s just too much.

Today’s Task: Watch the dirt that you do. There are so many nasty things done in the dark that are always brought to the light. Secrets often get found out and very often dirt begets dirt, but then we leave this world fairly grimy. Make sure that you aren’t doing anything in this life that you wouldn’t want printed on the front page of the New York Times.  It’s a good way to govern yourself and keep your loved ones from getting hurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment